Lizzie turns 1 week old tomorrow!
The snow started in today, and is supposed to get worse tomorrow. I'm officially over hotel living with a newborn (and without the rest of my family) in a strange, cold city.
Had loosely planned on going home tomorrow. And had paperwork been completed on time and correctly (for once not my fault!), that is exactly what would be happening!
So the attorney met with the birthmom today to have a few more things signed. They faxed those out to California. Talked to the California person (gov't, not our attorney), and they're still missing a signature from the birthmom. No clearance to leave the state given today!
But then the strangest thing happened and caught me entirely off guard. Shopping around with Lizzie today, at a random shop about 10 miles from our hotel...and ran into Desiree, the birthmom. Yeah, huh!??!!! So we talked, a bit awkwardly, for a couple of minutes, she took a couple of photos of Lizzie (asleep in the car seat carrier) with her cellphone. And then she cried a bit as we said goodbye.
Then I got a call from her this evening. Asking if we could possibly meet prior to me leaving (hopefully) this weekend. Leaves us with tomorrow. Strange position to be put in, and one that I kind of been hoping to avoid. But faced with her on the phone, hard to say no to a request like that. I think we both know it will be a very long time before Lizzie & Desiree see each other again.
The attorney's office was going to meet with the birthmom tomorrow to get the final signature, fax those out, and possibly have me cleared to travel for the weekend. But that's everything going very smoothly. Instead I'll be giving the birthmom the papers to sign. The attorney costs for each trip to get a signature are horrendous. And for them to fax it to me, and for me to fax it back to them, and the ICPC people of California...makes more sense, since I'll be seeing her anyways.
So while my ideal was to be flying out tomorrow, I will now be visiting with Desiree and *our* daughter, trying to find conversation. Emotionally draining day today, running into her, realizing more time to be spent here, and with the numerous delays. Goal tomorrow is to have a plane ticket purchased for Saturday morning.
On positive, we did have a pediatrician appointment for Miss Lizzie, and everything looks great for her!! :)
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Day 7...
Posted by annie :) at 6:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Can you meet with her AFTER 3?
But then that's half way throughout the day...and I need CA to approve signatures & paperwork, and Iowa to be available to get the phonecall that I am free (or that Lizzie is free!). Sooner the better for getting things in, sometimes good old California isn't the quickest ;). Though not their fault this time! Argh!!!!!
Post a Comment